According to Dataxis latest research, almost 40% of households in 17 Asian countries* will be connected to fixed broadband by the end of 2018. But the levels of penetration remain significantly different between mature and emerging economies: penetration of fixed internet lines (xDSL, FTTx and Internet cable) reaches over 90% in South Korea, where broadband speeds are also one of the fastest in the world. On the other hand, less than 10% of households are connected to fixed broadband in Indonesia, India, Bangladesh or Cambodia.


However, mobile broadband developed much faster. An estimated 60% of total Sims in this region are connected to 3G or 4G. Looking more in detail at the 4G developments, the country ranking differs from the first graph: for instance, Malaysia, Thailand or Indonesia show much higher penetration of 4G services than fixed broadband. Indeed, the Indonesian government wants to limit the use of feature phones and less than 2% of phones are corrected to 2G today in Thailand. The highest share of 4G is in Taiwan where 2G networks were closed in mid 2017 and 3G is planned to close by the end of 2018.


By Juliette Boulay  September 2018